THE PRO-TRUTH PLEDGE
An Effective Strategy for Skeptics to Fight Fake News and Post-Truth Politics
- Verify: Fact-check information to confirm it is true before accepting and sharing it.
- Balance: Share the whole truth, even if some aspects do not support your opinion.
- Cite: Share your sources so that others can verify the information.
- Clarify: Distinguish between your opinion and the facts.
- Acknowledge when others share true information, even when you disagree with their point of view.
- Reevaluate if your information is challenged, and retract it if you cannot verify it.
- Defend others when they come under attack for sharing true information, even when you disagree with their point of view.
- Align your opinions and your actions with true information.
- Fix: Ask people to retract information that reliable sources have disproved, even if they are your friends or allies.
- Educate: Compassionately inform those around you to stop using unreliable sources, even if these sources support your point of view.
- Defer: Recognize the opinions of experts as more likely to be accurate when the facts are disputed.
- Celebrate those who retract incorrect statements and update their beliefs based on the truth.